Friday, May 9, 2014

Full Body Tire Workout


When we lived in San Diego last summer, I spent a lot of time at the University of San Diego working out on their field. It was within walking distance of our apartment, so it was easy for me to put Jade in the stroller and head on over. 

Jade chillin at the field last year

This past weekend when we were in San Diego on vacation, we decided to stop by the field again and get a little workout in before heading to Sea World. One thing I love about this field is that there are pull up bars and tires that you can use to get in a great workout. 


I decided to do a workout centered around a tire that was on the field.

Here's the workout:



1. 5 Tire Flips
This tire was heavy (for me anyway)! For you tire flipping experts out there, perhaps my form is not the best... but hey! I flipped it! 

The way I do a tire flip is: I bend/squat down like I am about to do a deadlift. I try to keep my back straight as I lift the tire up using mostly my lower body. Then I use my upper body to push the tire over. 

2. 10 "Box" Jumps


Immediately after my 5 tire flips I would use the tire as my "box" and do box jumps. One way I like to do "box" jumps is to start in a squat, jump onto the box landing and balancing in a squat on the box. Then I jump back down into a squat position again on the ground. It really forces me to work on my balance and really works the behind!

3. 5 Tire Flips

4. 10 Tricep Dips


I used the tire like a bench to do my tricep dips. 
You can adjust the body weight you are using in this exercise by walking your feet away from the tire (harder) or towards the tire (easier). 

5. 5 Tire Flips

6. 10 pushups


To make my pushups more challenging, I propped my feet up on the tire, as seen above. As I got tired, I turned around and did my pushups with my feet on the ground and my hands on the tire. 

7. 5 Tire Flips

8. 10 step ups (per leg)

I didn't take a pic of this, but basically you step up on the tire with one foot and then come back down. Do that 10 times and then switch sides. I tried to do it quickly!

Rest (30 sec - 1 min) and Repeat 4-5 times. 

I tried not to take rests between exercises, but sometimes I did! It's okay to stop and catch your breath when needed. 


Some more pictures.... just for fun!
Jade and Lance this year!

Jade and Lance last year

No comments:

Post a Comment