Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Mom Excuse


Progress pic with my favorite workout buddy!
When Lance and I were first married we spent some time living in China. I remember one day I was at a school waiting to speak with the principal when a mom came over and wanted to practice her English with me. We started talking and getting to know each other and then the mom said, “Oh, I used to be little like you, but now I am a mom.”
Hmmm…. I’ve heard this phrase many times since then.
There is no doubt that having a baby changes your body. Some women experience more changes than others, depending on nutrition and activity during pregnancy, genetics, etc.
So change happens!
My question is: what are YOU going to do NOW?
Don’t let the “oh, I’m a mom now” be an excuse to not get the health and physique you desire.
Like anything worth doing, it’s going to take some hard work.
Learning a language? Takes hard work! Playing an instrument? Takes hard work! Getting in shape? Takes hard work!
Think about this. I don’t speak Korean. I WANT to be able to speak Korean, especially since I am part Korean. Sometimes I think, oh well it’s so much easier for someone that lives in Korea or that grew up with 2 Korean parents, to be able to speak that language. Or… if only I had more time to study the language.
The desire to speak the language is there! But what is missing? I haven’t put in the work! I have all the resources I could want: genetics, family, Rosetta Stone, flash cards, etc….. I just haven’t put in the time and effort.
So now let’s get back to fitness! Many people WANT to get in shape. They may have gym memberships or exercise videos. They might read up about nutrition or follow fitness role models on various social media outlets. In other words, they may have all the resources they need to get in shape…. but perhaps they haven’t yet put in the work.
Of course, we are all coming from different backgrounds and from different points on our fitness journeys. Just like learning a language, some people may have a slight advantage depending on genetics, where they were raised, and how far they’ve already come. Stop analyzing others and focus on you!
What do YOU need to do to make your fitness goals happen? What can you do today to get a work out in? What healthier food choice will you make today? Remember, it is going to take work. It is going to take time and effort. In the end, it’s all going to be WORTH IT!
Don’t let “oh I’m a mom now” be your excuse to not be healthy and fit! You CAN do it!
Now, please excuse me while I get back to studying some Korean. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment